Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sunday Afternoon Booze and Blog

It is a beautiful crisp clear New England fall day today. I was up early to go to church with my family as I do every Sunday (YEAH RIGHT), have already run some errands and picked up the house. Bella and Elsie are out shopping, Regina has a headache from last night, and here I am.

I jumped in my car earlier and just drove around for a bit hoping something would come to me. When I have free alone time coupled with energy and opposition to watching television or reading, I usually shop. But, the last weekend of the month is always the time I am most budget concious and poor due to all of the things throughout the month that I simply could not live without and had to buy. But I truly see no need to beat myself up about over-spending when there are so many other things to fuel my self-loathing. The main purchases this month were a new bench and four pieces of canvas art for my bedroom. I hope that me and my cat Nickels enjoy these items since at this point the only man in my room I possibly forsee in the near future would be a rescue worker if the house was burning down. And probably even then I'd get the only chick in the firehouse trying to assist me down the ladder. Perish (bad choice of words) the thought.... I'm only kidding. There are no women firefighters in Brighton. Again, I tease.

So as I drove I was thinking to myself - I should do something fally, Halloweeny even! PUMPKIN CARVING!! That is it. Where does one buy a pumpkin? Wait, didn't I read somewhere that there is a pumpkin shortage this year? Wow, don't feel like hunting around for one and I certainly don't want to deprive a kid of a pumpkin if I do find one .

Next thing I know I'm in the parking lot of the liquor store.

And now, here I am, drinking a beer, hoping Reg will shake the headache and get over here, and writing in my blog.

This morning started off early, as I mentioned I went to church, and no, I really don't go every Sunday, although it couldn't hurt. Maybe I'll start. I went today because it is the 10 year anniversary of my father's death.

It has been a long time since I went to a regular Sunaday mass, but since I was raised by semi-strict Catholic parents and attended Catholic schools my entire life, most of it comes back to me like an old 80's tune, let's say "Video Killed the Radio Star" just for shits and giggles. But, there were a few things about attending mass that I had completely forgotten and I was kicking myself for when I rediscovered. One, I always get a really dry throat in church and cough like a lunatic and I was without a cough drop. Two, my brother always passes gas during mass. This has always led me to mouth (since I was ten ans apparently continues on to this day) "I am going to fucking kill you after church" because I freak out thinking what pigs the poor bastards behind us must think we are and then I doubly freak out when I wonder if they think I am the culprit. Damn you Michael. Today, the only saving grace to the later fear was Kay, his four-year daughter, yelled out "Daddy farted!!" which in hindsight may have alerted others who were not in smells way to the situation but at least it cleared my name.

After church it was off to the IHOP with Jude, Kay, my brother, my brother's fiance Jen, and her mother.. I have not been to the IHOP sober in probably 10 years. There is a very good reason for that. I'd go on about the horrible food, service, bathroom conditions, etc. etc., but it's the fucking IHOP, what should anyone expect?

Kay insisted on coming back to my house afterwards and I don't see what is so fun about my place to her. Oh yeah, we have two cats and a dog who we let her dress up in hats. Not to mention my roommate Bella and our friend Elise (who pops in on the weekend) - the two of them are more entertaining than Sir Thomas Tophat and Harmony the Carebear to her and both have the patience of Christ.

So Kay came back and told me she had something very serious to talk to Bella about. I pushed for details but she wouldn't budge. When we got inside she went into Bella, took her by the hand and said "I am so very sad today." Of course we both gushed and asked why. "Well, I miss my Papa very much." Papa? Your Daddy? No. Your grandfather (mother's father)? No. "my Papa. He died. He's in heaven and I miss him so very very much." Holy shit she's talking about my father. Hands over face, she runs to the next room. Bella and I look at eachother and in unity say "dah-rah-mah." We follow her into the next room where she has already discovered a cat toy and is waving it in front of Nickels, giggling. Can't wait until she's a teenager!

Well, I just got off the phone with Regina and admitted I've been passing the last hour or so writing in my blog about my brother's gas and IHOP. Apparently that was the only motivation she needed and now she's jumping in the shower, grabbing her "Arrested Development" DVD, and getting her ass over here. Bella and Elsie are coming through the door.

So, as ashamed as I was at the beginning of this it turned out not to be such a bad way to spend an hour on a Sunday afternoon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home