Monday, June 25, 2007

Andelmans, Porta-Potties, OOB

Saturday was a busy day. I got up early because I had a gazillion appointments and then headed to meet some friends downtown at the Phantom Gourmet Beach Party BBQ. Although I thought I loved the Andelmans, after Saturday I'm starting to have second thoughts - you've got to hand it to them for this creative scam though. Anyhow, I’ll sum it up:

The Good


BEER!!! Plenty of it, cold and moderately priced Bud and Bud Lite. You cannot beat hanging around City Hall Plaza catching a buzz while scoping out all the folks dressed in purple.




The Bad

Okay, you’d have to really love barbecue to tolerate the huge lines for over-priced and reportedly (and experienced) mediocre food. Unfortunately, I am not so I refused to do so. I sampled some pulled pork and chicken from my buddies’ plates and although it was decent, certainly not worth waiting in line for 40 minutes. In fact, there are few things on this planet I would wait 40 minutes in line for. Not even beer but possibly sex and definitely sex and beer.

The Ugly


Ironically one cannot have too much good without needing to experience the ugly.

Porta-Potties.

Number one rule for Porta-Potties – just say no. But if you must, the number one rule changes to never, ever, never ever ever look down. These had to be the grossest portable toilets I have ever tangled with – and believe you me, you don't drink as much as I do never to have danced with these babies before. My stomach is seriously lurching as I type this from the memories so I am going to stop there.

Overall I had a good time but only because of the people I was with. Afterwards we went to “The Emerald” for a much needed clean bathroom, a few more beers, and some appetizers that totally sucked. Another thing just to say no to - Truffle Fries.

I jumped back on the green line home to sober up for an hour or so before I went to a small cocktail party in Watertown. It was at my friend Sand’s newly renovated house that looks like something out of the pages of Elle Décor magazine. Her boyfriend designed the whole place and I was just awe-struck (not to mention a little drunk.

Regina came with me, which I was very happy about because for one she tolerates the extra chromosome I develop when I am a bit tipsy (DAMMIT! I forgot the gifts! As we are ten minutes away from the party) and she also gives me a heads up when the booze starts talking for me.

“Lay off the pooch” she said.

The hooch?

“No, the pooch. Calling her dog a ‘handsome well behaved beast’ was as unfunny and creepily inappropriate the sixth time you said it as it was the first time you said it when we walked in.

Nuff said.

I was also happy Reg got to meet Sand and her boyfriend. Next week we are all going to be up in Old Orchard Beach for the week. So let the vacay countdown begin – 7 days to go!! Sun, fun, drinks by the pool, beach, cook outs, clam bakes, beer bellied dudes in Bermuda shorts!


Woo hoo, I can’t wait!!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Andraste said...

Wooohoo! I was going to go to that BBQ thingy and now I'm glad I didn't. You're the second blog I've read today that gave it mediocre-to-bad reviews.

Anyhoo...OOB next week, huh? Enjoy! Don't forget to hit The Brunswick for some afternoon drinks and drunk-watching. Honestly, Mainers? They know how to drink and they start at like...8am when on vacation. Bring a notebook, you'll be like Margaret Meade...

Monday, 25 June, 2007  
Blogger Betty Blog said...

Regina was pretty pleased it sucked too b/c she had to miss it. I'm still going to check out the Food Festival thingy in September though (been planning on it for two years but someone always seems to get married that weekend - happy bastards). I just bought the book "Fatsmashers Diet" (from celebrity fit club - dustin diamond has inspired me) on amazon and was thinking of you because the first nine days involves caff/alcohol detox, I won't attempt until I get back from vacay but with all the eating and boozing that has been going on I will certainly need it - hopefully I will feel as good as you do now!!

Monday, 25 June, 2007  
Blogger Sassy Sundry said...

Yeah, the vegetarian thing kept me away from there---and the porta potties. I'll tell a little story about them someday.

And you are going to the OOB? You are a brave, brave Auntie.

Tuesday, 26 June, 2007  
Blogger Suldog said...

Oh, my, I wouldn't expect good things in a porta-pottie at a BBQ/beer blast, no ma'am.

MY WIFE and I considered a trip to that, but we were put off by the admission price that included NOTHING. I mean, gimme ONE rib or something and I wouldn't feel ripped off. So, no go for us.

Tuesday, 26 June, 2007  
Blogger Betty Blog said...

If you bought tix online beforehand in pairs, it wasn't so bad ($5); however if you paid when you got there - $10 which is a total rip-off, esp. considering they were bragging about "FREE FERRIS WHEEL" and "FREE BEADS". What truly, truly got my goat was that children over the age of 2 had to pay full price. My friend went with his wife and 4 year old daughter and if they didn't purchase in advance that's 30 bucks for admission. They had a nice day but still, why not admit kids under 12 free or at least half price?!?!

Tuesday, 26 June, 2007  
Blogger David Sullivan said...

I love OOB. Me and the fam are heading up to Oqunquit late July-early August, but we will definitely head uo to OOB for the day. Beer and Beach. Doesn't get much better.

Thursday, 05 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home