Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Cherri-Oys

Last night I was visiting my mother, Jude. While bantering about the remains of the day, she went to the cabinet to fix herself a bowl of cereal.

Oh my goodness! I forgot to tell you! I bought Jewish Cheerios. They didn't have the smaller boxes of Cheerios so I bought these instead.



Now please understand that according to my mother, this is ethnic cuisine. I don't think an event like this has happened in my family since my father was alive and discovered a Jewish bakery a mile from the house. And they are even open on Christmas! he beamed. And so a tradition was born, every Christmas morn (after church of course) he would go to the bakery and buy bagels, mostly because he could.

She sat across from me with her bowl of Crispy-O's and eyed them suspiciously. I suspect she was wondering if by eating the cereal she was somehow denouncing Christ and therefore losing her special place in heaven with all of the other saints and martyrs. As she lowered her spoon I giggled a bit because I thought of the old Life cereal commercials - but instead of Mikey sitting across from me it, of course, was my 65 year old mother.

A smile came across her face. She likes it, she likes it!!

These are the best things since....

Moses parted the red sea? I asked.

No, no, I mean. Best thing since regular cheerios.

I'm so glad I am witness to these moments.

So today at work, I warned my friend Amy, who is Jewish, that my mother will likely bring up the subject of Crispy O's next time she sees her and to please not indulge her .

Amy immediately gets worked up and exclaims:

It's a conspiracy! Scotch, do you know what Kosher for Passover means???? All it means is that a Rabbi blessed it. That's it! Nothing more. Seriously, a Rabbi probably went to the cereal factory....no, wait, he probably flew over it or called it in, and now that cereal is kosher.

I reply: How do you know? Maybe they put him in a golf cart and drove him around the factory. We should really investigate this. Do an undercover operation of some sort.

Now let's go smoke and gossip about people at work and put all this thinking behind us.

And that is just what we did.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Suldog said...

I love the bit about your Dad going to the Jewish bakery on Christmas morning. It reminds me very much of my late father-in-law. He was Catholic, but he loved many things about Jewish culture.

Wednesday, 28 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

get a life pick on someone else

Wednesday, 28 March, 2007  
Blogger Betty Blog said...

Jude, you know you are my muse.

C'mon, you know I'm only kidding around. Just consider yourself luck that it's a picture of the cereal box as opposed to a picture of you eating the cereal.

Love you!

Wednesday, 28 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home