Monday, November 20, 2006

The Inebriated Epicures Brunch at SoHo

On Sunday Elsie, Bella, Andrea, Regina and I met for our very first, of what we hope will become a weekly, or at least monthly, ritual, of getting together on Sundays for brunch. The idea was born out of a brainstorming session of Elsie and I - we thought it was about time we devised a concrete plan to drink on Sundays and since no one likes to have a big head at work on Mondays, the earlier the better. So brunch it would be.

We all met up at Soho on Market Street in Brighton around 11:00 AM. I had only been in there once before, but that was at night. When I walked in I was extremely impressed, I immediately fell in love with the contemporary decor surrounding the large Irish bar in the center of the room. We sat in front of a big window facing Market Street - prime location for my love of people watching. They had a jazz band playing in the lower level adding to the ambiance and I was happy - we made the right choice by coming here!

The server came over to take our drink orders, Reg dove in first by ordering a Bloody Mary. It was then we discovered a horrible, heinous, unspeakable, tragic reality. Massachusetts law forbids the serving of alcohol before 12PM on Sundays. When the waiter told us this Andrea jokingly said "oh you are pulling my leg" and we all laughed like hell. The waiter defensively responded that it isn't his decision that it is the state of Massachusetts. Okay, so our sarcasm attempt was lost on the guy, we told him we were just joshing and ordered coffee.
The waiter brought back our coffee and told us to go help ourselves to the buffett. That was the second to the last time he came over to our table. I'm not sure if it was the no booze before noon joke, or the fact that we were dressed casually (as more people trickled in we realized that people dressed up for brunch, and we were in jeans and sweaters) therefore we were labeled as trash, but he seemed to be avoiding us.

The food was good - no complaints, no raves. The coffee on the other hand was un-drinkable. Very, very strong.

Noon came around and finally the waiter surfaced to take our drink orders. This could have changed my view of him if not for the fact he never came back to our table, we ended up having to go up to the bar to get another round of drinks, and we had to track him down to even get our check. Our table was littered with glasses and coffee mugs for the entire duration of the meal.

All in all it was a great day. The food was okay, the locale and atmosphere was great, the service sucked and of course, the company rocked! I don't think I'd go back there for brunch, but I would certainly return for drinks in the evening!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you at the boyne my sweet thing

Saturday, 25 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home