Saturday, January 20, 2007

Opposite Sex Woes

I just got off the phone with Regina.

A little bit of back story if I will - Regina and I have been friends for 27 years. Considering the fact that I am (wince) 30, that is a fairly impressive amount of time.

To say we've been through it all together is an understatement.

One thing I love about my friendship with Reg is that we typically go through mini-midlife crisis together. Even if one of us is over-the-moon happy, if one of us is down and out, the other will follow suit without hesitation. Because, if nothing else, it is usually an adventure when we get into our "let's change our lives" mode.

Since we are both guilty of being typical gals, emotionally anyhow, our breaking points typically come in the form of some guy or another. Or better yet, when we try to improve our situation, it involves "getting out there" and finding someone new, or often enough, someone at all.

Our quests have brought us on some wonderful vacations, seedy bars, countless community ed courses, and once it even brought us to church. These adventures historically turn up fruitless, but we have a great time and there is always, always, always something to write home about.

Last week Reg and I were trying to come up with a way to find meaning and happiness and fulfillment. She hit on something and forwarded it to me in a form of an email. My boss was sitting next to me as I was showing him how to turn on his "Out of Office Assistant" because the lucky fella is going on vacation, when the subject "Scrabbilicious" pops up. We both almost choked and he simply said "I do not even want to know."

Well, Regina had the idea that we should go down to the B-Side in Cambridge on Monday nights to play scrabble. I was so all over it when I saw it and we were both pretty excited. Then reality set in -

I speak for myself, but Reg totally agreed, that vocabulary is not our strong suit. Better yet, the words we do know we cannot spell. Can you see it now - Reg and I will be spelling out words like "GOAT" and "DOG" and referencing a dictionary for words like "SURGEON" and "AUTUMN" all the while Harvard kids will be spelling the latest species found in the Amazon or diseases I have never heard of but probably have. So Scrabble night is out for now I guess.
Anyhow, I just got off the phone with Reg and of course our conversation turned to finding someone and it struck me as funny:
Reg: I'd love to meet someone who'd take my breath away, ya know?
Scotch: I know what you mean... I want to find someone that takes my breath away too...and not only because he lives on the top floor of a 5-story building without an elevator."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home