Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Deep Thoughts by Auntie Scotch

Late last week Amy started to read the book “The Secret” and in my typical monkey-see/monkey-do behavior I picked up a copy for myself on Monday night. Personally I really haven’t had time to get into it yet but from what Ames said a good part of it is keeping your eyes open for signs (I think).

In any case, yesterday on my way to the bus stop I decided to give my Ipod a rest and take notice of the world around me in hopes that I too would receive a message from the universe.

I was not disappointed. As I waited, a butterfly fluttered by me and landed in the dirt next to an urban renewal planted-type tree only steps from my feet. It’s beauty was remarkable even amongst the discarded cigarette butts and other miscellaneous litter that surrounded it.

I went into deep thought about the beauty of change, how I am now at a crossroad and this butterfly is symbolic of what I can be, what I will be.

Then it fluttered it’s wings a bit and I was snapped back into reality, I’m afraid of bugs. Even pretty ones. I feared if that butterfly came near me I would instinctively swat it away, possibly injuring it.

More deep thoughts - if the butterfly symbolized the beauty of change and good things ahead, could it be that I have been pushing these things away out of fear?

I remembered Suldog’s blog on bees and how it made me feel silly about my fear of bugs by making me realize that insects aren’t out to hurt me, they are just trying to do their thing.

Even more deep thoughts – maybe if I learn more and change the way I think about the things I fear, there will be nothing that I cannot conquer.

It was then that I decided to write a blog about this. For effect, I reached in my bag and grabbed my camera. As I was about to take the shot, the butterfly flew off. Into traffic. Underneath a wheel of a Honda Civic. No way, it can’t end like this I thought. It has to have made it.

As the light changed and the car started to move, I saw what was left of that butterfly on the wheel of the car as it went by me.

One last deep thought – no more deep thoughts for me.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auntie, perhaps it was sent to encourage those deep thoughts and as it's job was done it expired..perhaps it was sent just for you!

Wednesday, 18 July, 2007  
Blogger Betty Blog said...

Wow, I totally didn't see it that way - thank you!

I did continue thinking about what the death meant and I figured that it was something totally negative (i.e. the upcoming changes in my life will be the death of me), but I like the thought that you had. Thanks again!

Wednesday, 18 July, 2007  
Blogger Suldog said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Auntie! I would like to point out - despite the possibility of undoing whatever good I did - that my piece was on ONE type of wasp. I wouldn't outright trust 'em all. Just being fair.

And, yes, I will write that piece you requested concerning pigeons - someday.

Wednesday, 18 July, 2007  
Blogger Betty Blog said...

Sul, I need to believe that your blog meant ALL bugs, it is truly something that has "bugged" me my entire life (At this age not so much afraid of the insects themselves but more-so my knee-jerk reaction to them - totally embarassing!). In fact I have to admit - I killed a lady bug that was in my bedroom on Monday night. I didn't know what it was, I just saw it on the ceiling and then it started to fly. I swatted it with a magazine, injuring it, and then realized it was an innocent little lady bug. At that point Nickels and Jerry had finished it off. I felt terrible.

Wednesday, 18 July, 2007  
Blogger David Sullivan said...

I'll tell you one sure fire sign.

If you see anybody reading that book "The Secret", squint your eyes a little bit (like you would when trying to make Christmas tree lights more luminous) at the readers forehead. You will be able to make out letter "S".

You can do the same for anyone reading anything by L. Ron Hubbard, Carlton Sheets, Dr. Phil (Oprah by default), Deepak Chopra, or the Bible (New Testament).

Thursday, 19 July, 2007  
Blogger Betty Blog said...

Hey, when did positive thinking harm anyone? Wait a second, don't answer that. :-) Thanks for the comments!

Thursday, 19 July, 2007  
Blogger endangered coffee said...

I've often thought of writing my own self-help book based on the random selection of ice cream flavors.

Pistachio - you will succeed in business

Heath Bar Crunch - you will find much love.

Hey, can't be any crzier than Dianetics.

Tuesday, 24 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home