Thursday, January 25, 2007

Trying to Make a Whole Lotta Changes....

I just finished reading the book "The Whole Truth" by Andrea Beaman. If you are a Top Chef (Bravo) fan, Andrea was a competitor on the first season bringing a healthy flair to the show.

I liked the book, which was half resource/half recipes, it was well written with a comical voice. Andrea promotes, without preaching, the benefits of eating whole, un-refined, unprocessed foods. Of course, a chronic dieter knows this already but I especially enjoyed that she explained the effects that certain foods have on the body and mind.

For instance, spinach boosts your mood. Since my winter blahs have gotten kind of out of hand over the past two weeks I decided to add spinach to at least two of my meals. I honestly do feel better. Also, I am able to kick my nemesis’ asses with ease, ala Popeye - so watch out DMV phone system! Bastards! Why can’t I just talk to a PERSON!?!? Okay, enough rage.

So I started to give up some stuff. The hardest of all has been Diet Coke. I have become quite the tea drinker and am seriously considering picking up a faux-British accent just to drive the point home. The downside is I am constantly burning my tongue, the upside is I had the opportunity to loudly demand an explanation of "tea-bagging" to Kerry in a crowded room when she made a quiet joke of my new found sophisticated ardor of tea. That’ll teach her!

Andrea claims that once you are eating healthier, your body starts to crave good foods and if you listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs. I tried this last night, the conversation went something like this:

Auntie Scotch: Okay body, what’s yer poisin? What can I fix ya?
Auntie Scotch Body: Hmmm...well....let's see...that oatmeal you made the other morning was great...but...um...oh, and the grilled chicken? Never cooked better! Great job. But, if I have to choose - I'll go for a Captain and diet coke with a side of menthol tobacco. Ah hell, just put the tobacco right into the rum.

Oh, by the way - that accent? LOSE IT! You are causing me embarrassment. Stop looking at my love handles you judgmental bitch!


Although I appreciate when my temperamental inner monologue is honest, I had to deny her. I guess it will take some time before I start craving kale and buckwheat. Hopefully I’ll learn what the two are before that happens.

Wish me luck, folks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home