Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Part One - The Chat

As promised, more on Saturday...but first I need to take you into the way back machine to the Friday before. I need to break this very, very boring story into two parts because it's getting a bit long, I'll post the conclusion tomorrow.

On Friday I was leaving work early so I could get a head start on some outstanding items for the shower the following day. As I was about to leave the office an email from Brian (Brainy McBrains) pops up.
Now, I hadn't heard from Brian since our first and only email exchange, so I was a bit surprised that I hadn't fell victim to the "ol' out of town on business" excuse that I have used so many times myself. In his email he wanted to know my plans for the weekend and hoped we could get together for a "chat" (his word).

Chat...hmmm....
In the Auntie Scotch Dictionary of Misrepresentation, a "chat" is a confrontation. A "chat" can never be a good thing, especially when it is summoned from a man to a woman (or vice versa), a boss to an employee, or a teacher to a student.
But I hardly know the guy, I did not have the faintest idea what the hell he would need to talk to me about. I mean, even if he came across the blog or did indeed see me on the bus that day, would it warrant a chat? Any normal person would just break off all contact with me if that were the case - and quite frankly I'm suspicious of anyone with continued contact with me (including blood relatives and life long friends).

My mind raced, could he be a religious zealot trying to convert me? Did he indeed find the blog and want to become my AA sponsor?
Who the hell knew, and who the hell cared, all that mattered was I didn't like this. I didn't like this one bit.

But I responded quite nicely and quite honestly that I was up to my ears with commitments over the weekend, shower, jewelry making class (you heard me right), visiting niece, etc. etc. But some other time...yada yada yada. That was the end of that. Or so I thought.
About 9PM Friday night my cell rings. It's him. I only picked up because I didn't recognize the number and assumed it was one of the bridesmaids. He's giving me a second chance to take him up on the chat
offer. I again decline but start to casually babble in hopes that I will draw out the real reason behind his sudden persistence to meet with me.

After five minutes of discussing the neighborhood, where he lives, where I live (he has a colleague who lives on my street actually!), how was the business trip, brothers wedding, blah blah blah....I concluded that there may be no ulterior motive on his part.

So we ended the conversation, I told him to email me and we could get together for coffee or whatever but truly had no intention on doing so. It just wasn't happening. So again, that was the end of that.
Or so I thought..........

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont' leave us hanging!! Enquiring minds want to know. Enquiring minds like me!

Tuesday, 24 April, 2007  
Blogger Suldog said...

Aarrrggghhhh! Get to the ending! I must have resolution!

Tuesday, 24 April, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home