Monday, September 24, 2007

The Difference Between Southie and Dorchester...

According to this guy, anyhow....
My friend Di and I went out for a late lunch (i.e. early drinks) in the South Boston area last Saturday afternoon. We hit up one place to watch the beginning of the sox game and then headed to a fairly well-known dive bar to watch the end of it. The place was pretty empty. After the first round we decided to go out and have a smoke. There was a guy out there also indulging and he struck up a conversation with us.
"So, whereya's from?" he questioned in an Irish accent.
We told him and returned the question. He told us what county he was from (can't remember) but then said he was now living in Dorchester. Di said she once lived in Dorchester for a time.
He then started to tell us about how he lived in the "good part" of Dot and how it is easy to turn a corner and end up on the "wrong side of the tracks." He then went on, unprovoked, to tell us this...
"One evening I had too much to drink at Murphy's Law here in Southie," he said. "I mean, I was drunk, ya know? I left the bar and took a seat on the sidewalk, the next thing I know I woke up and it was, oh, 'bout five o'clock in the morn."

And at that Di interjected an "oops..." ....he went on...
"I was wearing a gold chain on my neck, a snazzy watch, and had two hundred dollars in my pocket. But do you know what? Can you guess what?? Not a soul bothered with me. Not a soul."
It was at that point I got confused about where this story was heading.
"In Dorchester", he continued, "I would have been robbed blind. But not in this town. In this town they wouldn't rob a bloke laying on the sidewalk." He then stubbed out his butt and headed back into the bar.
I don't really know the moral of this story, my biggest concern was that Di and I looked like the type of gals that a man would meet and immediately feel free to tell he once slept on a sidewalk.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger David Sullivan said...

Well, at least you know what you would be getting into with this dude. My buddy had a habit of, when drinking heavily, peeing the bed and his wife didn't find out till they were married!!!

Thursday, 27 September, 2007  
Blogger Sassy Sundry said...

That's a bad sign, Auntie. You were missed at our meet up. Andraste, Fresh Hell, and I had a time. You'll have to join us the next time we're inspired to do damage to our livers.

Friday, 28 September, 2007  
Blogger Suldog said...

Originally from Dorchester, but having spent lots of time in Southie, I think he's pretty much right. Not that you CAN'T get robbed in Southie, but the likelihood is much less.

Monday, 01 October, 2007  
Blogger Andraste said...

Speaking of Boozing - Fresh Hell, Sassy and I have started a bit of a Boston Blogger monthly boozey get-together. You should come! Tonight we're meeting at some damn saloon for the ballgame. Not sure how long I'll last since I have to work until almost 8pm, but a couple of adult flavored pops never hurt anyone...

if interested, contact any one of us in our comments (I think Sassy has a link to her e-mail on her blog) and we'll tell you where...

Thursday, 18 October, 2007  
Blogger Spanky McCloud said...

Scotch....are you there?

Missing you from Florida.

-S&M

Friday, 19 October, 2007  
Blogger Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

Good story wish I had ran into him when he was passed out on the sidewalk I could use the $200.00 and a gold watch wouldn't be bad either.

Friday, 19 October, 2007  
Blogger David Sullivan said...

Merry Christmas Scotch, wherever you are!

Friday, 21 December, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home